[gridengine users] Can a 6.2u5 node talk to a 6.2u3 cluster?

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 19:36:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> For Ubuntu? I have a similar patch to get lx24-em64t for Intel CPUs, but I wonder about the reason to target Ubuntu. As the name of the architecture is also compiled into the binaries, they need to be patched (or rebuild) too:

Oh - you just told me to use the same binaries :-)

I'll have a peek at those messages.

Basically my cluster is running RHEL5 / CentOS5 and I really want to
upgrade it to something more modern.  I've noticed that Ubuntu seems
to have better native support in general for many of the scientific
applications we use, so I thought it might be nice to switch to it.
But even if I switch to the latest CentOS7 I will need to maintain 2
sets of binaries while  I switch.

For example R is one that my scientists use a lot.  We build it in
/data/binaries/R-<VERSION>.  So I'll need to have
/data/binaries/<ARCH>/R-<VERSION> for each of lx26 and lx38.  This
will all be the same hardware just a new version of Linux.

> PS: Of course: do on your own risk, for me it's working to distinguish between
> amd64 and em64t this way and just use $ARC in the jobscript.

Well clearly I don't have a good enough understanding of the
implications of what I'm doing since I don't really know what em64t is
:-)  Can you point me at an appropriate section of the manual to read
up on this?

thanks,
-Alan