[gridengine users] Can a 6.2u5 node talk to a 6.2u3 cluster?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Sep 23 20:17:43 UTC 2013

Am 23.09.2013 um 21:36 schrieb Alan McKay:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
>> For Ubuntu? I have a similar patch to get lx24-em64t for Intel CPUs, but I wonder about the reason to target Ubuntu. As the name of the architecture is also compiled into the binaries, they need to be patched (or rebuild) too:
>
> Oh - you just told me to use the same binaries :-)
>
> I'll have a peek at those messages.
>
> Basically my cluster is running RHEL5 / CentOS5 and I really want to
> upgrade it to something more modern.  I've noticed that Ubuntu seems
> to have better native support in general for many of the scientific
> applications we use,

How does native support show up - as binaries are available and the compilation step can be skipped?

> so I thought it might be nice to switch to it.
> But even if I switch to the latest CentOS7 I will need to maintain 2
> sets of binaries while  I switch.
>
> For example R is one that my scientists use a lot.  We build it in
> /data/binaries/R-<VERSION>.  So I'll need to have
> /data/binaries/<ARCH>/R-<VERSION> for each of lx26 and lx38.  This
> will all be the same hardware just a new version of Linux.

If I need newer versions of some libraries, I put these in a shared location and use them also for older kernel versions. And for some software we buy, we even get only the binaries which are compatible to a wide range of kernel versions. Do you expect any execution time speedups?

>> PS: Of course: do on your own risk, for me it's working to distinguish between
>> amd64 and em64t this way and just use $ARC in the jobscript.
>
> Well clearly I don't have a good enough understanding of the
> implications of what I'm doing since I don't really know what em64t is

First hit in Google will tell you.

> :-)  Can you point me at an appropriate section of the manual to read
> up on this?

Unfortunately no. It's only experience over time and checking the source here and there.

-- Reuti