[gridengine users] Anyone have scripts for detecting users who bypass grid engine?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Apr 9 19:23:30 UTC 2015

I'm one of the people who has been arguing for years that technological
methods for stopping abuse of GE systems never work in the long term
because motivated users always have more time and interest than
overworked admins so it's kind of embarrassing to ask this but ...

Does anyone have a script that runs on a node and prints out all the
userland processes that are not explicitly a child of a sge_sheperd daemon?

I'm basically looking for a light way to scan a node just to see if
there are users/tasks running that are outside the awareness of the SGE
qmaster.  Back in the day when we talked about this it seemed that one
easy method was just looking for user stuff that was not a child process
of a SGE daemon process.

The funny thing is that it's not the HPC end users who do this. As the
grid(s) get closer and closer to the enterprise I'm starting to see
software developers and others trying to play games and then plead
ignorance when asked "why did you SSH to a compute node and start a
tomcat service out of your home directory?". heh.

-chris