[gridengine users] Anyone have scripts for detecting users who bypass grid engine?

William Hay w.hay at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 9 21:08:51 UTC 2015

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 19:23:30 +0000
Chris Dagdigian <dag at sonsorol.org> wrote:

> I'm one of the people who has been arguing for years that
> technological methods for stopping abuse of GE systems never work in
> the long term because motivated users always have more time and
> interest than overworked admins so it's kind of embarrassing to ask
> this but ...
>
> Does anyone have a script that runs on a node and prints out all
> the userland processes that are not explicitly a child of a
> sge_sheperd daemon?:

Not exactly.  I have a load sensor that lists users who have processes
on the node but not a job (excluding users in the local passwd file
and members of our ops teams).  We have ssh locked down so
this is mostly to catch remnants of jobs that weren't killed
properly.  We've improved our kill scripts enough that most of the
time it fires it is a  false positive due to a race rather than a real
problem.

William