[gridengine users] default value in complex cannot be changed via a user request

Marlies Hankel m.hankel at uq.edu.au
Fri Apr 10 03:59:25 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I ran into some trouble with the default value of h_vmem. I set to be
consumable=yes and also set a default value of 1G. When I submitted a
job asking for example for 10 slots with 1G per lost the job crashed
with an error in the queue logs saying that the h_vmem needed by the job
(around 3G) was over the hard limit of the queue (local host instance)
of 1G. I would have thought that the request of 1G per slot, so 10G in
total would override this and give enough memory for the job.

Setting the default value to 6G resolved the problem, but as we might be
dealing with larger memory jobs in future I would like to find a proper
fix for this. I am running SGE as installed by ROCKS 6.1.1 (OGS/Grid
Engine 2011.11) and the only thing I changed was to set h_vmem to
consumable=yes and set the relevant h_vmem values for each host.

I want users to request memory and jobs to be killed if they exceed the
requested amount, so h_vmem seemed to be the way to go. But how do I set
a small default value that users can change if they need more? Or should
I set it to forced without a default and force users to request it?

Thanks in advance

Marlies

--

------------------

Dr. Marlies Hankel
Research Fellow, Theory and Computation Group
Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (Bldg 75)
eResearch Analyst, Research Computing Centre and Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation
The University of Queensland
Qld 4072, Brisbane, Australia
Tel: +61 7 334 63996 | Fax: +61 7 334 63992 | mobile:0404262445
Email: m.hankel at uq.edu.au | www.theory-computation.uq.edu.au

Notice: If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please notify me,
and do not make any use of its contents. I do not waive any
privilege, confidentiality or copyright associated with it. Unless
stated otherwise, this e-mail represents only the views of the
Sender and not the views of The University of Queensland.