[gridengine users] SGE - Scheduler configuration to accept jobs for specific hosts when all other hosts are full

Jesse Becker beckerje at mail.nih.gov
Wed Apr 15 14:28:42 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 02:15:22PM +0000, Yuri Burmachenko wrote:
>Hallo to distinguished forum members,
>
>We are interested to make a special configuration for SGE scheduler.
>
>Let's assume we have a pool of 100 execution hosts.
>We want to make 96x execution hosts to accept all jobs as usual while remaining 4x should receive jobs only after all other execution hosts are full.

A few ways.  Here's one off the top of my head:

1. Change scheduler config "queue_sort_method" to "seqno"
2. Edit queue configuration to set a "seqno" value for your 96 hosts to
something like "100".
3. Exit queue configuration for the other 4 nodes to have a "seqno"
value of something larger, like "200".

Steps 2 and 3 are best done using two hostgroups: one for the builk of
the nodes, and the other remainders.

This change will tell SGE to sort *first* on the "seqno" value (lower
numbers go first), and then according to the load_formula.

--
Jesse Becker (Contractor)