[gridengine users] sanity check on usage of "-p" priority value: per-user effect or global across waitlist?

Mark Dixon m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Apr 30 16:45:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015, Chris Dagdigian wrote:
> - Does my use of "-p" to send lower-than-zero values for my submitted jobs
> affect just MY jobs and the order in which they get dispatched or will I end
> up penalizing myself globally because all the other jobs from other users on
> the cluster are running with default "-p" values of 0 assigned to them?

At least with the default gridengine config, you will penalise yourself
compared to other people's jobs. We've tried changing the weight_priority
option down by a couple of orders of magnitude in qconf -msconf to
minimise the affect it has on someone's jobs relative to others, but I'm
not sure we got anywhere. We might have tweaked it down so much it didn't
help.

I'd love to know the proper way to do what you want, as we want it but not
had the time to suss it out ourselves :)

TTFN

Mark