[gridengine users] sanity check on usage of "-p" priority value: per-user effect or global across waitlist?

Fritz Ferstl fferstl at univa.com
Thu Apr 30 16:49:31 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

if memory serves correctly then the so called POSIX priority is one
range applied to all jobs. So you would be penalizing your jobs.

If you need this more often then you could either ensure that jobs
always are submitted with a negative priority (say -100) and then
regular users have a choice to go a bit above or below.

Or you use the functional policy which was more designed for what you
want to do, I think.

I also thought there might be a config parameter with which you can
influence behavior but a quick peek didn't prompt anything. So I either
was confusing this with something else or it is related to the
functional policy (didn't dig into that).

Hope this helps at least a bit (and I have not overlooked something
obvious thus confusing you),

Fritz