[gridengine users] GridEngine and VPN

Goncalo Borges goncalo at physics.usyd.edu.au
Mon Feb 16 06:25:14 UTC 2015

Hello all...

I'm currently facing the following problem:

1./ I am running a grid engine qmaster node in a research network
(NetA), and I am trying to connect some exec nodes which are deployed in
a commercial network (NetB).

2./ We have set a VPN (in a NetC) to secure the connection between NetB
and NetA.

3./ However, I am not able to start the sgeexecd daemon. At startup
time, it complains with the following error:

error: commlib error: access denied (client IP resolved to host name
"vpn.my.NetC". This is not identical to clients host name "execd.my.NetB")
ERROR: unable to contact qmaster using port 6444 on host "qmaster.my.NetA"

4./ This error is triggered when the execd daemon tries to contact the
qmaster, and the qmaster complains that the IP of the execd node is not
the one declared in DNS. Indeed, the qmaster node is seeing the IP of
the VPN server.

Did anyone already tried to run Grid Engine using VPNs?

Is there an easy way out?

Thank you for the help.

Goncalo

--