[gridengine users] suggestions on setting up queues

Stephen Spencer spencer at cs.washington.edu
Fri Jan 16 19:50:24 UTC 2015

Good morning.

With the number of users on our clusters growing, it's becoming less
realistic to say "play fair 'cause you're not the only user of the cluster."

I'm looking for suggestions on setting up queues, both the "why" and "how,"
that will allow more of our users access to the cluster.

What I'm thinking of is a multi-queue approach:

   - some limited number of "interactive" slots (and they'd be time-limited)
   - a queue for jobs with short time duration - the "express" queue
   - a queue for jobs that will run longer... but only so many of these per
   user

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

Best,