[gridengine users] suggestions on setting up queues

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Fri Jan 16 20:56:57 UTC 2015

Stephen,

I'd be careful about setting up too many queues. The more complicated
you make it,the harder it is for your users to use. I'd start with the
following. My apologies if you've already done some of these steps:

0. Find some way to monitor your scheduler's behavior, and figure out
what you want to see happen. Without some kind of goals and metrics, how
will you know if your changes are working as desired?

1. Require users specify a wallclock time when running jobs. This is
required for step 2. Don't set a default wallclock time. Configure SGE
to fail a job immediately if a wallclock time isn't specified. I did
this a long time ago, but forgot how to this. I believe if you make '-w
e' a default option for qsub (eg 'qsub -w e ......') jobs that do not
specify h_rt will fail immediately. This will get your users to remember
to always set h_rt.

2. Turn on backfill scheduling.

3. Look into fairshare scheduling.

Only after you've take these 3 steps, would I look into making
additional queues.

Prentice