[gridengine users] suggestions on setting up queues

Brendan Moloney moloney at ohsu.edu
Fri Jan 16 21:37:23 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have found resource quotas to be pretty unreliable once you start making even moderately complex rules.  Instead I do almost everything through resource/host/queue configuration. Using a server side JSV you can do pretty much anything without needing resource quotas.

The way I have it setup is to have various time limits (30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, ..., over 48 hours). The jobs with the shortest time limit can use 100% of the cluster resources. Jobs with longer time limits can only use a fraction of cluster resources (e.g. 90% for 1 hour jobs).  I don't differentiate between interactive/batch jobs since people can always use an "interactive" session to do non-interactive processing (if all the batch slots are full).  I use the fair share system to balance usage between users.  Finally I provide an "urgent.q" which has a higher priority on which each user can use at most one slot for 12 hours.

Brendan Moloney
Research Associate
Advanced Imaging Research Center
Oregon Health Science University