[gridengine users] suggestions on setting up queues

Ed Lauzier elauzier2 at perlstar.com
Sat Jan 17 22:49:48 UTC 2015

 The perl JSV is a good way to enforce defaults based on projects.
With resource quota sets, you have the most flexibility.

Watch out though....for resource quotas per host or host groups with
a high throughput of jobs, you need a master that has at least 4 processors....

The calculations that are required by the scheduler for each scheduling cycle
need resources, esp with resource quota sets per host enabled....

Also, avoid using the bash JSV. It is too slow. Perl JSV works great, but
make sure that you keep it simple....

The resource quota sets for max slots per host also allows you to share hosts nicely between queues,
if you need more than one queue...

Complex boolean resource tags work great also for job steering to the right
type of hosts...

Fairshare for lots of very long running jobs is almost impossible to do properly.
So, limiting the number of slots used for very long running jobs to say max 60%
of total slots may work out best...

Hope this helps...

-Ed