[gridengine users] Error: job is not allowed to run in any queue

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Jul 28 20:58:15 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am 28.07.2015 um 19:38 schrieb John Lilley:

> Hi William,
>

> Yeah, I tried that and it appeared to have no effect on the error
> received. I did a -w e to see if it prevented the job from running in
> order to test if the command line parameters were even being read in and
> it looks like they are as the job was not allowed to run.
>
> [johnbot at ip-172-31-3-22 ~]$ qhost
> HOSTNAME                ARCH         NCPU NSOC NCOR NTHR  LOAD  MEMTOT
> MEMUSE  SWAPTO  SWAPUS
> -------------------
> global
>

> [johnbot at ip-172-31-x-xx ~]$ qsub -w n sleep.sub
> Unable to run job: warning: johnbot's job is not allowed to run in any
> queue
> Your job 319 ("johnbot-sleep") has been submitted
> Exiting.
> [johnbot at ip-172-31-x-xx ~]$ qdel 319
> johnbot has deleted job 319
> [johnbot at ip-172-31-x-xx ~]$ qsub -w e sleep.sub
> Unable to run job: warning: johnbot's job is not allowed to run in any
> queue
> error: no suitable queues
> Exiting.
>

> I also added -w n to the sge installation directories' sge_request file
> and finally ~/.sge_request as mentioned here:
> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/htmlman/htmlman5/sge_request.html .
> Setting other options in those two files does effect job submission as
> when done manually with qsub above so they are definitely being read in.
> Not sure what to try next.

The above message may appear either because of a set user_lists attribute in all of the queues, or in case there is no queue at all, or only queues with an empty hostlist exist (i.e. no queue instance).

AFAICS it can't be suppressed by any flag.

Well, the idea in SGE was too, that it should be possible to submit a job with a request for resources which are only available in the future (like submitting with a high memory request, which will become available only once new nodes are set up). OTOH requesting a non-existing queue should be prohibited, and requesting an unknown queue throws a different error, but can't be suppressed too.

As the the qmaster is running in your set up: what about a dummy queue which runs on the qmaster itself, but has zero slots? The "no suitable queues" warning won't appear by default (unless "-w w" or "-w e " is set).

-- Reuti

PS: Sure: changing daemons/qmaster/sge_job_verify.c by changing/removing the "first check user permissions" block might help too.