[gridengine users] how to migrate OGS

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jul 29 20:01:25 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am 29.07.2015 um 21:22 schrieb Michael Stauffer:

> I'm upgrading a rocks 6.1 system to 6.2 this weekend. I'll be doing a clean install of rocks. Both rocks 6.1 & 6.2 have OGS/GE 2011.11p1 (at least as far as I can tell, 6.2 has the same version).

Would it be possible to move to a newer version? AFAICS OGS didn't get much updates for some time now and I don't know about its current state.

> Could someone help me with the steps to do the migration of my SGE setup? I have this so far:
>
> On the old rocks 6.1 install:
>
> 1) run /opt/gridengine/util/upgrade_modules/save_sge_config.sh and save to external location
>
> On the new rocks 6.2 install:
>
> 1) copy over the output from save_sge_config.sh
> 2) Now, do I run
>
>   $SGE_ROOT/inst_sge -upd
>
> OR
>
>   /opt/gridengine/util/upgrade_modules/load_sge_config.sh

After you installed the new version (and maybe removed the usual all.q, defined host/hostgroups,...) this can be used to load the old configuration into the new empty SGE installation. But I remember that it may be necessary to run it more than once, in case there are some mutual references (like in the list of subordinated queues).

The script can fail anyway, in case that there are new entries in the definition of objects in case you upgrade to a much newer version (well, these could be added by hand to the text files if its known what is missing).

-- Reuti