[gridengine users] Monitoring slot usage

MacMullan, Hugh hughmac at wharton.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 30 15:20:21 UTC 2015

Hi Simon:

We use 'Core Binding' to restrict users to the same number of cores as slots requested.

http://www.gridengine.eu/grid-engine-internals/87-exploiting-the-grid-engine-core-binding-feature

We use a jsv to assign the binding value (force compliance) based on the other job inputs: single slot and MPI jobs are bound to 1 core (for each slot requested), OpenMP jobs are bound to the number of slots requested in the pe option.

Or you might be able to just put '-binding linear:1' in $SGE_ROOT/default/common/sge_request, and then have users specify '-binding linear:#' if they're doing a SMP job.

Test carefully! :)

-Hugh