[gridengine users] Filling up nodes when using gepetools

William Hay w.hay at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jul 31 12:47:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 08:00:30 +0000
"Winkler, Ursula (ursula.winkler at uni-graz.at)"
<ursula.winkler at uni-graz.at> wrote:

> > What happens with serial jobs (ie no PE at all)?  If they exhibit
> > the same behavior then we just need to figure out how to tweak the
> > scheduler config to fill up nodes.  If serial jobs are already
> > clumping onto a few nodes then the claim that $pe_slots behaves
> > like serial on the oracle blog that Reuti pointed to may not be an
> > accurate description of your version of grid engine.
>
> Because gepetools is configured as default jsv
> ( "jsv_url   /software/sge/gepetools/pe.jsv" ) for all jobs, serial
> jobs are also concerned ("nodes=1,ppn=1").
>
> Just for testing I disabled the jsv temporarily: the scheduling with
> serial jobs work then as in the oracle blog (= filling up)

So it sounds like the $pe_slots=serial behavior isn't true for your
grid engine.  An alternative would be to convert single node jobs to
serial jobs that requests a consumable(other than slots)  representing
the number of cores on the node.  However this will change the behavior
when requesting other consumables and probably won't interact well with
core binding.