[gridengine users] "Distribution" of processes to nodes

Jesse Becker beckerje at mail.nih.gov
Fri Mar 20 15:37:01 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 04:18:26PM +0100, Christian Schmidt wrote:
>Please can you reconfigure the queue to assign tasks to nodes such
>that large parallel jobs will not be split up to fill in all small
>spaces on the queue, but rather will be run on the minimum number of
>complete nodes?"
>
>We are not sure how to achieve this. Could you please give a any hint?

Start with the "sge_pe" manage.  There are a few different ways that SGE
can spread jobs around.

You want to change the "allocation_rule" to "$fill_up", which will
allocate as many slots on a single box as possible on the "least loaded"
node, before moving on to the next node, then the next.  The default
method is "$round_robin", which--as you've noticed--spreads things
around quite a bit.

You might also consider the "$pe_slots" setting, which forces *all*
slots to be allocated on a single node.  (Note that this could cause
some problems with actually scheduling the job, since it may be a long
time before an entire compute node is free...)

--
Jesse Becker (Contractor)