[gridengine users] Setting CPU priority by CPU speed?

Bob Craycroft Bob_Craycroft at AndromedaAnalog.com
Wed Oct 14 20:58:39 UTC 2015

[Re-sending as plain text.  My bad.  Been a long time since I
participated in a mailing list...]

Hi Peter:

I implemented the following approach for my customers and it works
well.  The specifics can vary a bit depending on your particular
situation, but here's what I do:

1.  Create a new DOUBLE complex value called "slowness".

2.  Assign a value of slowness to each host as a host resource
attribute.  The fastest set of hosts get a value of 0.  The next fastest
set of hosts get a value of 1, and so on.

3.  Use slowness in the load formula so that hosts with greater
"slowness" have a higher load and are thus filled after faster hosts.
The exact load formula depends on other components of the load formula.
For example, if generic, non-speed-sensitive load formula is "cpu", then
a good speed-sensitive load formula is "cpu+100*slowness".  In this
case, "cpu" varies from 0 to 100, so the factor of 100 ensures that we
fill all slots of the fastest available speed class before we move on to
the next slower speed class.

Best,
Bob