[gridengine users] Hardware thoughts?

Simon Matthews simon.d.matthews at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 04:40:25 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 7:56 AM, Notorious Biggles
<notoriousbiggles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I read Rayson's blog post about scaling grid engine to 10k nodes at
> http://blogs.scalablelogic.com/2012/11/running-10000-node-grid-engine-cluster.html
> and it seems that 4 cores and 1 GB of memory is more than enough to run a
> grid engine master.

We have a very small cluster, but find that we need 8GB for the
QMaster. I think what is more important is the rate of submitting and
running jobs. We submit and run 10's of thousands of jobs in the space
of a couple of hours on our small cluster.

We have to use BDB spooling: plain text doesn't give the necessary performance.

Simon