[gridengine users] SoGE: hyperthreading on or off?

Lane, William William.Lane at cshs.org
Tue Mar 15 19:43:11 UTC 2016

I'm just curious about what the current thoughts are WRT hyperthreading.

I've read at least one article that suggested hyperthreading be left on so that
the OS can take advantage of it, but that hyperthreading cores should be excluded
from being bound to SoGE HPC jobs. Is this still the best strategy to follow? Or
was it ever a good strategy to follow?

Could excluding hyperthreading cores be accomplished by using the qsub -binding
parameter? Or should SoGE itself be configured to ignore hyperthreading cores?

My research into hyperthreaing and HPC has only turned up two strategies:
1. turn off hyperthreading completely at the BIOS level
2. the above situation where the OS is still allowed to use hyperthreading but HPC
apps are disallowed binding to hyperthreading cores.

Thank you in advance.

-Bill L.
IMPORTANT WARNING: This message is intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential, the disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your cooperation.