[gridengine users] Why is .cshrc read automatically

Jesse Connell jesse08 at bu.edu
Tue May 10 20:37:39 UTC 2016

Hi Mun,

What's the shell set to for the queue?  If I remember right csh is the
default (and it'll use the default if you don't specify -S).  For example:

For our setup "qconf -sconf | grep shell" shows:

shell_start_mode             posix_compliant
login_shells                 sh,bash,ksh,csh,tcsh

and "qconf -sq somequeue | grep shell" shows:

shell                 /bin/bash
shell_start_mode      posix_compliant

We recently switched the shell from /bin/csh to /bin/bash on each queue
since so few were using csh anyway.  This still tries to source
.bash_profile, since it'll be a login shell either way.  (Is that the
part that's problematic, though, as opposed to csh vs. bash?)

Jesse