[gridengine users] Abaqus job suspension & Olesen FlexLM integration

Dinesh Mali dmali085 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 11:24:05 UTC 2016

Hi,

You can write a similar implementation of qlicserver. I have with used
below method to integrate FlexLM.

1] Get total available license tokens from license server "lic_total"
2] Get total utilized license tokens form license server "lic_used"
3] Calculate available licenses lic_avail=lic_total-lic_used

The change will be in next step where one needs to get resource value from
only those jobs which are in* running state.*
4] Get the list of running jobs.
5] calculate number tokens that are currently utilized for above running
jobs. "lic_used_in_ge"
6] calculate update value update_value="lic_avail + lic_used_in_ge"
7] use qconf to update the global complex resource value = update_value
8] Repeat from step 1.

With this the complex resources utilized by suspended jobs won't be
considered and your jobs will be released from queued status.

I hope this help.

Thanks and Regards,
Dinesh Mali
Sr. Systems Engineer
Locuz Enterprise Solutions Ltd.
Pune.
India.

On 22 November 2016 at 15:57, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:

> > Am 22.11.2016 um 09:52 schrieb Goes, Patrick <
> patrick.goes at arcelormittal.com>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > To optimize the utilization of our pool of Abaqus licenses, I want to
> implement some form of preemptive scheduling, where urgent jobs can force
> suspension of less urgent ones.
> > I have used Marc Olesen’s qlicserver (run as a load sensor) to account
> for external uses of licenses, which works fine.
> > I have created a Abaqus-dedicated queue with suspend, resume and
> terminate methods for suspending, etc…
> > The abaqus jobs that run on execution hosts are suspended all right, and
> the licenses are released correctly as far as the FlexLM license server is
> concerned, but for SGE they are *not* released, and consequently, no new
> jobs that need them are executed.
> > Since qlicserver compares the license use reported by the FlexLM server
> with that of SGE to determine the external (non-SGE) uses, and adjusts
> (reduces) the SGE complex accordingly, it seems possible to do something
> similar for suspended jobs: they are reported by qstat but not by FlexLM.
> Their license use count could be used to increase the SGE complex as long
> as they are suspended.
> > As far as I know, this would require an extension of the qlicserver.
>
> Correct.
>

> > Or am I missing existing possibilities?
>
> No.
>

> > Are any of you aware of similar efforts in that direction ? Or
> alternative solutions ?
>
> Unfortunately no. Although there are custom suspend and resume procedures
> which can be defined and even correct any overbooking of licenses, there is
> no "look-ahead" feature in SGE. Means, that SGE can't see that the
> available licenses with be increased by X if job Y is going to be
> suspended. So the job which would lead to suspension of another job is
> never scheduled.
>
> -- Reuti
>

> > Thank you, best regards,
> >
> > Patrick L. Goes