[gridengine users] Control tmpdir usage on SGE

William Hay w.hay at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 13:57:46 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 12:31:52PM +0100, Mark Dixon wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, William Hay wrote:
> >It was originally head node only so per job until a user requested local
> >TMPDIR on each node so historical reasons.
>
> Hi William,
>
> What do you do with people who want to keep the contents of $TMPDIR at the
> end of the job?
At the moment, if the user requests it via appropriate incantations,
we save the TMPDIR on the head node only.  So far that's been good enough.
Our generic advice to users is to use the cluster file system for multi-node
jobs  and $TMPDIR for single node jobs.  The user who wanted TMPDIR on multiple
hosts was a bit of a special case and either didn't need the data saved or
handled it themselves.

> It's easy to use the epilog to capture $TMPDIR on the master node and
> present that to the user - that workflow looks natural for checkpointing
> codes - but the slaves look more problematic (both in capture and
> presentation).

Our prolog and epilog (parallel) ssh into the slave nodes and do the
equivalent of run-parts on directories full of scripts some of which check
if they are running on the head node of the job before doing anything.
If we did want the epilog to save TMPDIRS from slave nodes we'd just
have to decide how to name them I guess.

William