[gridengine users] Control tmpdir usage on SGE

Skylar Thompson skylar2 at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 8 13:32:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 02:00:17PM +0100, William Hay wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 10:10:51AM +1000, Derrick Lin wrote:
> >    Hi all,
> >    Each of our execution nodes has a scratch space mounted as /scratch_local.
> >    I notice there is tmpdir variable can be changed in a queue's conf.
> >    According to doc, SGE will create a per job dir on tmpdir, and set path in
> >    var TMPDIR and TMP.
> >    I have setup a complex tmp_requested which a job can specify during
> >    submission. I want to ensure a job could not utilize what it claims at
> >    tmp_requested. For example, I would like to set a quota to a job's TMPDIR
> >    according to tmp_requested.
> >    What is the best way for doing that?
> >    Cheers,
> >    Derrick
> We do something along those lines here and making some improvements to it
> is on my todo list.  I'll outline my current plan:
> 1. Hand all the spare disk space on a node over to a nice btrfs filesystem.
> 2. Our JSV adds an environment variable to the job recording the amount
> of disk requested (you could try parsing it out of the job spool but
> this is easier).
> 3. The prolog creates a btrfs subvolume and assigns it an appropriate quota.
> 4. In starter_method point TMPDIR and TMP at the created volume.  We use
> ssh for qlogin etc and ForceCommand can do the same job for it.
> 5. In the epilog delete the subvolume.
>
> At present we're using a huge swap partition and TMPFS instead of btrfs.
> You could probably do this with a volume manager and creating a
> regular filesystem as well but it would be slower.
>
> We don't use the grid engine configured TMPDIR as this is also used
> for internal gridengine communication and mounting filesystems on
> it causes problems.

So far, TMPDIR usage is more of an annoyance than a problem for us, though
we have thought about doing something similar. Another option would be to
create a sparse file with dd, make a filesystem on it, and mount it over a
loopback device at TMPDIR. A wrapper script executed through sudo would
probably be pretty secure to run as the user in prolog.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar2 at u.washington.edu)
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354