[gridengine users] DISPLAY problem in RHEL6.8

John_Tai John_Tai at smics.com
Tue Jul 18 09:23:05 UTC 2017

I'm having a DISPLAY issue in RHEL6.8 that I don't have in RHEL5. I am using SGE6.2u6

I use VNC to connect to a linux server. By default the DISPLAY is set to :4.0 and I can start GUI jobs locally:

# echo $DISPLAY
:4.0
# xclock

However if I submit a GUI job it gives me a display error:

# qrsh -V -b y -cwd -now n -q test.q at ibm065 xclock
Error: Can't open display: :4.0

At this point I set the display by adding the hostname and I can successfully submit the job:

# setenv DISPLAY `hostname`:4.0
# echo $DISPLAY
ibm041:4.0
# qrsh -V -b y -cwd -now n -q test.q at ibm065 xclock

At least, it is successful in RHEL5.

However in RHEL6.8 setting the display with hostname doesn't allow GUi jobs to start either locally or remotely:

# setenv DISPLAY ibm046:4.0
# xclock
Error: Can't open display: ibm046:4.0
# setenv DISPLAY ibm046:4.0
# qrsh -V -b y -cwd -now n -j y -q test.q at ibm065 xclock
Error: Can't open display: ibm046:4.0

Hopefully somebody has experienced it before.

Thanks
John
This email (including its attachments, if any) may be confidential and proprietary information of SMIC, and intended only for the use of the named recipient(s) above. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this email is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your computer.