[gridengine users] taming qlogin

William Hay w.hay at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 26 07:41:56 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 08:24:23AM -0700, Ilya wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running 6.2u5 with ssh transport for qlogin (not tight integration) and
> users are abusing this service: run jobs for days, abandon their sessions
> that stay opened forever, etc. So I want to implement mandatory time limits
> for all interactive jobs and, perhaps, limit the number of interactive
> sessions available to any user.

> I was thinking about limiting time one of the two ways: either set h_rt via
> JSV (server side) or by forcing all interactive jobs to a dedicated queue
> with time limit. However, there seem to be issues with both approaches.
>
> There seems to be no way to reliably identify interactive job in JSV:
> - The only telling attribute is jobname, i.e., QLOGIN or QRLOGIN. However
> some users rename their interactive jobs, so this method will fails.

Assuming you are using a server side JSV then checking whether
the environment variable QRSH_PORT is set for the job from the JSV
distinguishes interactive jobs from batch mode (qsub) commands.

If you are using a client side JSV then the CLIENT parameter
should tell you which binary did the invocation.

The various JSV are not called for qrsh -inherit so no interference with
parallel jobs should occur.

William