[gridengine users] Ulimit for max open files

Luis Huang lhuang at NYGENOME.ORG
Tue Jun 27 14:06:51 UTC 2017

I’ve tried setting S_DESCRIPTORS, it still cap it at 65535. When running PE jobs, it also multiplies the cores with the max open file value. Even if I set a realistic ulimit, it will hit the threshold with high slots job.

Thanks!
Luis

On 6/27/17, 4:22 AM, "William Hay" <w.hay at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

    On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 05:24:57PM +0000, Luis Huang wrote:
    >    Hi,
    >

    >    To increase the max open file, we have set execd_params in qconf -mconf
    >    and also on the OS level:
    >
    >    execd_params
    >    H_DESCRIPTORS=262144,H_LOCKS=262144,H_MAXPROC=262144
    >

    >    On our execution nodes we can see that SGE sets a soft limit of 65535
    >    despite that we told it to set it to 262144.
    From the above it appears you set the hard limit

    >    Max open files            65535                262144               files

    Which appears to have been set.    Perhaps you could try setting the soft limit
    (S_DESCRIPTORS) to whatever value you think appropriate.

    William

This electronic message is intended for the use of the named recipient only, and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or use of the contents of this message including any of its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error or are not the named recipient, please notify us immediately by contacting the sender at the electronic mail address noted above, and destroy all copies of this message. Please note, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The organization accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.