[gridengine users] Writing Monthly CPU Usage Reports
fly at anydata.co.uk
Wed Jun 13 19:30:08 UTC 2018
On 12/06/18 22:55, Douglas Duckworth wrote:
> Hi Everyone
> We're looking into writing a monthly report which lists CPU usage by group, within share tree, along with a list of users therein as well as their usage.
> Does anyone have any advice on writing such a report or perhaps know of any sample reports which they could share?
Many years ago (2002/2003, SGE 5.2/5.3) we had a similar requirement for our supercomputing management committee's monthly meetings.
I ended up with the following arrangement:
- cron jobs would periodically take the records from the accounting file and import them into a PostgreSQL database.
- The database had some tables that were maintained manually, such as the group leaders and their email addresses.
- A set of scripts, Perl and shell, would extract the data for the reporting period from the database and produce aggregate summary reports.
- The reports were PDF files that were generated from LaTeX templates, which were generated by the Perl script(s)
- The reports were basically pivot tables, like those that would be produced with spreadsheets.
- We had one report with the per group resource usage.
- We also produced reports for the group leaders with per group member usage breakdown
- The PDFs were automatically emailed to the group leaders by another Perl script.
- The resource usage for the jobs that crossed the reporting period boundaries would be calculated proportionately as if CPU usage was uniform during the job's lifetime.
More information about the users