[gridengine users] Alternatives to Son of GridEngine

Tina Friedrich tina.friedrich at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 12 18:06:45 UTC 2018

Most of my experience is with either SLURM or Grid Engine.

UGE is pretty much a drop in replacement for Son of GridEngine; it's fairly
expensive, but it will be least impact. Also, the support is very good (well,
I found it so anyway).

Moving to SLURM would be a much bigger issue; how well that will work for you
is also very dependent on your environment. Personally I find SLURM inflexible
(and a bit flaky) - can't add or remove anything (nodes, resources) without
shipping an update to the main config file & restarting the daemons, for
example. Also, if you make a lot of use of complexes in Grid Engine, SLURM
doesn't really have them much, at least not to that extend. SLURM is very
focused on 'proper' HPC in it's design, really; large parallel jobs, static
environments, rather than bunches of batch jobs.

I'd add HTCondor to that list. If you're doing more high throughput & resource
scheduling, I'd probably look into that.

Tina

On Monday, 12 November 2018 20:41:34 GMT Taras Shapovalov wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> There are 4 alternatives remain: Slurm, UGE, PBS Pro and LSF. They are all
> pretty similar and do their job pretty well.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Taras
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 8:05 PM Daniel Povey <dpovey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Everyone,
> > I'm trying to understand the landscape of alternatives to Son of
> > GridEngine, since the maintenance situation isn't great right now and I'm
> > not sure that it has a long term future.
> > If you guys were to switch to something in the same universe of products,
> > what would it be to?  Univa GridEngine?  slurm?  Which of these, as far as
> > you know, is better maintained and has a better future?
> > I'm not interested in fancy new things like mesos that have a different
> > programming model or are too new.
> >
> > Dan

Tina Friedrich, Snr HPC Systems Administrator, Advanced Research Computing
Research Computing and Support Services, Academic IT
IT Services, University of Oxford
http://www.arc.ox.ac.uk