[gridengine users] Alternatives to Son of GridEngine

Dr. Mark Asbach mark.asbach at pixolus.de
Mon Nov 12 18:34:26 UTC 2018

Hi Daniel, hi everyone,

I can’t add a lot to Tinas summary. Just as a note from someone who recently found himself in a similar situation as yours: We’ve reviewed SGE/UGE, Slurm, Torque, and HTCondor this spring for an HPC project and found that developer and user activity on Slurm seem to leave all other alternatives far behind. Although I’ve used SGE a lot at uni (and liked it), and although others on the project had similarly positive memories to their Ph.D. times with Torque and Condor, we’ve settled on Slurm now (and even considered fitting everything to Mesos, just because it’s hard to find people that ’still’ know HPC job scheduling systems in a time of AWS and Map/Reduce).

So far I can say that, yes, Slurm is a bit less flexible and you’ll have to re-provision the whole cluster each time you change something general. However, this is not of a real concern to us as our deployment is fully scripted and we’re running a moderately large cluster (< 500 CPUs) for a specific, single project (as opposed to running a cluster infrastructure shared for many different individuals).

Best,
Mark

P.S.: Anyone interested in a permanent position outside of but in touch with academia that’s about python/django, machine learning, clusters and clouds? :-)

--
Dr. Mark Asbach
pixolus GmbH