[gridengine users] Different ulimit settings given by different compute nodes with the exactly same /etc/security/limits.conf

Skylar Thompson skylar2 at uw.edu
Wed Jul 3 14:09:20 UTC 2019

Can you check the limits that are set in the sge_execd and sge_shepherd
processes (/proc/<pid>/limits)? It's possible that the user who ran the
execd init script had limits applied, which would carry over to the execd
process.

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 12:36:00PM +1000, Derrick Lin wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> We have custom settings for user open files in /etc/security/limits.conf in
> all Compute Node. When checking if the configuration is effective with
> "ulimit -a" by SSH to each node, it reflects the correct settings.
>
> but when ran the same command through SGE (both qsub and qrsh), we found
> that some Compute Nodes do not reflects the correct settings but the rest
> are fine.
>
> I am wondering if this is SGE related? And idea is welcomed.
>
> Cheers,
> Derrick

-- Skylar Thompson (skylar2 at u.washington.edu)
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354