[gridengine users] SoGE file descriptor limit and MAX_DYN_EC

Lana Deere lana.deere at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 17:33:37 UTC 2020

On CentOS 7 using  SoGE 8.1.9, I'm getting an error using qsub:
QSUB:Unable to initialize environment because of error: cannot register
event client. Only 979 event clients are allowed in the system

Supposedly I have this limit configured much higher:
root# qconf -sconf | grep MAX_DYN_EC
qmaster_params               MAX_DYN_EC=25000,gdi_retries=5

However, the qmaster at startup is reporting that it is not honoring the
limit:
|nr of dynamic event clients exceeds max file descriptor limit, setting
MAX_DYN_EC=979
|qmaster hard descriptor limit is set to 4096
|qmaster soft descriptor limit is set to 1024
|qmaster will use max. 1004 file descriptors for communication
|qmaster will accept max. 979 dynamic event clients
|starting up SGE 8.1.9 (lx-amd64)

This is surprising to me since my system's file descriptor limit is set
much higher than 1024/4096:
root# pwd
/etc/security/limits.d
root# cat 99*nofile*conf
* soft nofile 100000
* hard nofile 100000
root# ulimit -a -S | grep 'open files'
open files                      (-n) 100000

I hacked the script in /etc/init.d which starts the qmaster and it shows
the higher limit.  However, if I look at /proc/<qmaster pid>/limits I can
see that it has the lower limits it reports.  What I can't figure out is
why it is seeing the lower limit.  Anyone know whether there's a
configuration parameter somewhere overriding the system limit?  Any
suggestions on how to make it get the system's limit?

Thanks.

.. Lana (lana.deere at gmail.com)