[gridengine users] How to export an X11 back to the client?

Mun Johl Mun.Johl at wdc.com
Fri May 1 18:44:08 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am using SGE on RHEL6.  I am trying to launch a qsub job (a TCL script) via grid that will result in a GUI application being opened on the caller's display (which is a VNC session).

What I'm seeing is that if I set DISPLAY to the actual VNC display (e.g. host1:4) in the wrapper script that invokes qsub, the GUI application complains that it cannot make a connection.  On a side note, I noticed that when I use ssh -X to login to one of our grid servers, my DISPLAY is set to something like localhost:10 .  Now, if I use localhost:10 (for example) in my grid wrapper script, the GUI application _will_ open on my VNC display.

Of course, with multiple users and multiple grid servers, I have no idea what a particular qsub command's DISPLAY should be set to.  I must be missing something because I'm sure others have already solved this issue.

Please advise.

Thank you and regards,

--
Mun