[gridengine users] How to export an X11 back to the client?

Mun Johl Mun.Johl at wdc.com
Fri May 1 22:15:09 UTC 2020

Hi Reuti,

Thank you for your reply.
Please see my comments below.

> Hi,
>
> Am 01.05.2020 um 20:44 schrieb Mun Johl:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using SGE on RHEL6.  I am trying to launch a qsub job (a TCL script) via grid that will result in a GUI application being opened on
> the caller's display (which is a VNC session).
> >
> > What I'm seeing is that if I set DISPLAY to the actual VNC display (e.g. host1:4) in the wrapper script that invokes qsub, the GUI
> application complains that it cannot make a connection.  On a side note, I noticed that when I use ssh -X to login to one of our grid
> servers, my DISPLAY is set to something like localhost:10 .  Now, if I use localhost:10 (for example) in my grid wrapper script, the GUI
> application _will_ open on my VNC display.
>
> Yes, here X11 forwarding is provided by SSH. The forwarding of X11 is not built into SGE.
>

> > Of course, with multiple users and multiple grid servers, I have no idea what a particular qsub command's DISPLAY should be set to.
> I must be missing something because I'm sure others have already solved this issue.
>
> Inside the wrapper it should always by something like localhost:10 with a varying number. This is set by the login via SSH. Hence I'm
> not sure what you are looking for to be set.

[Mun]  Bottom line is I need for the GUI application to open in the user's VNC session.  It seems that unless I set DISPLAY to the "appropriate" localhost:# from within the wrapper script which makes the qsub call, that I cannot accomplish that goal.  Therefore, I need some way of setting the DISPLAY env var correctly.  Unless there is some other way for me to accomplish my goal?

Regards,

--
Mun