[gridengine users] How to export an X11 back to the client?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sat May 2 07:45:29 UTC 2020

> Am 02.05.2020 um 00:15 schrieb Mun Johl <Mun.Johl at wdc.com>:
>
> Hi Reuti,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
> Please see my comments below.
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 01.05.2020 um 20:44 schrieb Mun Johl:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using SGE on RHEL6.  I am trying to launch a qsub job (a TCL script) via grid that will result in a GUI application being opened on
>> the caller's display (which is a VNC session).
>>>
>>> What I'm seeing is that if I set DISPLAY to the actual VNC display (e.g. host1:4) in the wrapper script that invokes qsub, the GUI
>> application complains that it cannot make a connection.  On a side note, I noticed that when I use ssh -X to login to one of our grid
>> servers, my DISPLAY is set to something like localhost:10 .  Now, if I use localhost:10 (for example) in my grid wrapper script, the GUI
>> application _will_ open on my VNC display.
>>
>> Yes, here X11 forwarding is provided by SSH. The forwarding of X11 is not built into SGE.
>>

>>> Of course, with multiple users and multiple grid servers, I have no idea what a particular qsub command's DISPLAY should be set to.
>> I must be missing something because I'm sure others have already solved this issue.
>>
>> Inside the wrapper it should always by something like localhost:10 with a varying number. This is set by the login via SSH. Hence I'm
>> not sure what you are looking for to be set.
>
> [Mun]  Bottom line is I need for the GUI application to open in the user's VNC session.  It seems that unless I set DISPLAY to the "appropriate" localhost:# from within the wrapper script which makes the qsub call, that I cannot accomplish that goal.  Therefore, I need some way of setting the DISPLAY env var correctly.  Unless there is some other way for me to accomplish my goal?

As said: the X11 forward and automatic setting of $DISPLAY is not part of SGE, but is accomplished by setting up SSH as communication method inside SGE. Once this is defined, your wrapper should work without any further adjustments.

-- Reuti

> Regards,
>
> --
> Mun
>

>> Maybe you want to define in SGE to always use SSH -X?
>>
>> https://arc.liv.ac.uk/SGE/htmlman/htmlman5/remote_startup.html
>>
>> -- Reuti
>>

>>> Please advise.
>>>
>>> Thank you and regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mun

Philipps-University of Marburg
AG Berger / AG Tonner / AG Frenking / FB Chemie
Reuti
Admin
Hans-Meerwein-Straße 4
35032 Marburg (35043 for the delivery of goods)
Germany
FON +49-6421-28-25549
FAX +49-6421-28-21826
eMail reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de