[gridengine users] users Digest, Vol 113, Issue 2

William Hay w.hay at ucl.ac.uk
Mon May 4 14:10:23 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 09:06:46AM -0400, Korzennik, Sylvain wrote:
>    We have no problem having jobs w/ X11 enabled, BUT users must use qlogin,
>    not qsub or qrsh (the way we have configured it).
>    We have switched from SGE to UGE, but I'm sure the 'issue'  is the same,
>    you need to have the '[qlogin|rlogin|rsh]_command" and "_deamon" set
>    accordingly, and if you use ssh, you need to have X-tunnelling enabled
>    (lssh -X) - it's not just simply a matter of setting up DISPLAY or
>    adjusting ~/.Xauthority. Here is our config:
The problem with using qlogin is that it doesn't provide an easy way to pass a
command to it as you always get an interactive shell.  The original
poster wanted to run a command.  You could I suppose feed the command you want
run into qlogin's stdin but that feels a little more fragile.

Having the rsh_command and rsh_daemon set up using ssh -X/sshd -i (as in
ssh tight integration) lets
you pass commands in a simpler way.

If you don't want to or can't fiddle with the various _command and _daemon
settings then your only real options are fiddling with DISPLAY and
~/.Xauthority