[gridengine users] users Digest, Vol 113, Issue 2

Mun Johl Mun.Johl at wdc.com
Mon May 4 21:21:46 UTC 2020

Hi Sylvain, William,

First of all, thank you both for your valuable feedback!
Please see my comments below.

> On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 09:06:46AM -0400, Korzennik, Sylvain wrote:
> >    We have no problem having jobs w/ X11 enabled, BUT users must use qlogin,
> >    not qsub or qrsh (the way we have configured it).
> >    We have switched from SGE to UGE, but I'm sure the 'issue'  is the same,
> >    you need to have the '[qlogin|rlogin|rsh]_command" and "_deamon" set
> >    accordingly, and if you use ssh, you need to have X-tunnelling enabled
> >    (lssh -X) - it's not just simply a matter of setting up DISPLAY or
> >    adjusting ~/.Xauthority. Here is our config:
> The problem with using qlogin is that it doesn't provide an easy way to pass a
> command to it as you always get an interactive shell.  The original
> poster wanted to run a command.  You could I suppose feed the command you want
> run into qlogin's stdin but that feels a little more fragile.

[Mun] Yes, I do want to kick off a graphical tool; therefore, as William & Reuti suggest, using qrsh and ssh -X/sshd -I may be route to go.  Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with setting up ssh for SGE and thus have some research to do.

> Having the rsh_command and rsh_daemon set up using ssh -X/sshd -i (as in
> ssh tight integration) lets
> you pass commands in a simpler way.

[Mun] I'm all for "simpler" ;)

> If you don't want to or can't fiddle with the various _command and _daemon
> settings then your only real options are fiddling with DISPLAY and
> ~/.Xauthority

[Mun] I already tried the "fiddling" method with little success.  Therefore, I will pursue the ssh -X technique next.

Best regards,

--
Mun