[gridengine users] How to export an X11 back to the client?

Mun Johl Mun.Johl at wdc.com
Mon May 11 21:30:14 UTC 2020

Hi William, et al.,

Thank you for your reply.
Please see me comments below.

> On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 06:29:05PM +0000, Mun Johl wrote:
> > Hi William, et al.,
> >
> > Thank you kindly for your response and insight.
> > Please see my comments below.
> > Now for the issues:

[Mun] ... Stuff deleted ...

> > I first added the pam_sge-qrsh-setup.so at the top of the /etc/pam.d/sshd file.  When I did that the qrsh job was launched but
> quickly terminated with the following error from the tool I was attempting to launch:
> >
> > ncsim/STRPIN =
> > 	The connection to SimVision could not be established due to an error
> > 	in SimVision. Check your DISPLAY environment variable,
> > 	which may be one of the reasons for this error.
> >
> > I am not explicitly setting the DISPLAY--as that is how I normally use 'ssh -X'.  Nor have I done anything to open any additional ports.
> Again, since 'ssh -X' is working for us.  As a reminder, there is no way for me to know what to set DISPLAY to even if I wanted to set it.
>
> If you can get it back to the actually launching mode then trying to run
> qrsh -now n /bin/env to list out the environment you are getting might
> help debug.

[Mun] Thanks for the tip; I'm still trying to get back to where I can launch qsrh again.  Even after I put the requisite /etc/pam.d/sshd line at the head of the file I'm still getting the "Your "qrsh" request could not be scheduled, try again later." message for some reason.  But I will continue to debug that issue.

> > Now, the /etc/pam.d/sshd update caused an ssh issue: Users could no longer ssh into our servers :(  I didn't realize the order of the
> lines in the sshd is significant.
> >
> > Therefore, I moved the pam_sge-qrsh-setup.so entry below the other "auth" lines.  Although, that resulted in the following error
> when I tried the qrsh command again:
> >
> >      Your "qrsh" request could not be scheduled, try again later.
> Did you remember the -now no option?  That looks like the sort of
> message one might get if you forgot it.

[Mun] Yes, I did include the "-now no" option in the qrsh call.

> > One final note is that we have "selinux" enabled on our servers.  I don't know if that makes any difference, but I thought I'd throw it
> out there.
> Depends how it is configured I guess.  Which linux distro are you using?

[Mun] Red Hat Enterprise Linux v6.8

Regards,

--
Mun